In the last few months I’ve received one or two e-mails per day that voice serious anger at the Federal government, the congress, and the President. Though I agree with many of the complaints, I am becoming uncomfortable with the harshness and the sense of hatred that is coming into my view and hearing if you would. I am trying to separate whatever truth may be in the mail from the rancorous tone that permeates the message. When I finish responding to some of these, I’m hard put to regain a sense of peace and harmony.
I found two places in the New Covenant that have caused me to reflect on the proper position of a Christian vis-à-vis the authority of government.
St Paul in the 13th chapter of Romans verse 1 writes, “Let every person be subordinate to the higher authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been established by God.”
After developing this premise he ends at verse 7,” Pay to all their dues, taxes to whom taxes are due, toll to whom toll is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.”
St Peter in his first letter 2;13-17 writes, ”Be subject to every human institution for the Lord’s sake whether it be to the king as supreme or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evil doers and the approval of those who do good. He ends with, “Give honor to all, love the community, fear God, honor the king.”
I understand these passages to mean that it is the position of authority that deserves our respect and clothes the person with honor. God creates the positions of authority and individuals fill them. Mere humans can never measure up to the awesome tasks of making perfect decisions which will please everyone.
I am left with the realization that I must get past the personalities, likes or dislikes. Love my neighbor as myself calls me to pray blessings on the rulers and to petition Jesus to send the Holy Spirit to counsel and guide those in authority over me.
What of the anger that rises in me when I see dishonesty and lack of integrity in the rulers. Jesus was angry at the money changers in the temple.
He seemed furious at the Pharisees and Scribes as described in Mathew 23; 1-36. Time after time Jesus castigates them saying ’ “Woe to you Scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites.” These two places in scripture give us a glimpse of how repulsed God is at the presence of outright evil and blatant disdain for his authority. This anger is totally justified and if Jesus had not controlled his Godly anger against man-kinds disobediences His wrath could have destroyed man-kind the way he did with Sodom.
Our country needs to beg Father God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit for forgiveness and Holy Mercy for the soul of all the aborted infants cry out for vengeance.
All other evils in our country cannot be rectified until we repent of killing generations of God’s creatures. God will use those in authority as instruments to vent his wrath and punishment on our country until we repent.
Lambassadeur